What would you like to see happen in State Government? Share your ideas and vote for your favorites!

Make Government accessible to citizens on all islands.

Neighbor island citizens have to endure excessive fees for air fare, room and board in addition to a loss of wages in order to participate in the state legislature. Citizens from all counties should have public access to all sessions (both live and recorded) and be able to provide testimony without leaving their county. Citizens should not have to pay such a high price to participate in government. There are low cost solutions that can be implemented in the upcoming 2014 legislative session (such as Skype, Live Stream & YouTube), with more long term solutions added in successive sessions.

123 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChandellChandell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Have to tried the Public Access Room?The people and the website are very helpful and you can easily track bills and submit testimony.

• IlynIlyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree to have government available on the outer islands as it is not always easy for elders to travel on their own. Airfares are expensive, place to stay, and means of transportation always is a challenge on many that needs to go to Honolulu to work with their government issues/questions and concerns. It is time government work for the people that has put them in office and yes be accessible for all citizens.

• Lucia LunaLucia Luna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brilliant suggestion. Government is for all the people and improving access should be a priority.

I agree completely and we should not have to pay a fortune to voice our opinions in person to our leaders who we voted into their positions.

• Terri CabrerosTerri Cabreros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in complete agreement. We should NOT have to spend a small fortune flying to Honolulu for our basic right to let our voices be heard. Nor should we have the "only other option" be to submit written testimony per chance they may not even read what we have to say, being innundated with such.
        We need to be a face they see as we remind them that we ARE the people of these islands...the corporations are the unwanted weeds infesting our lands and THEY NEED TO GO!

• H Doug MatsuokaH Doug Matsuoka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is more than a "should," it's a "must." This is already being done in other counties, states, and countries. It's completely do-able and necessary!

I've always thought this since technology makes it so easy to do classes online, why not government? Maika`i loa e Chandell Asuncion!! You have my vote!

yes - with high quality video and microphones please. No excuse as we see $$ fly out on less critical issues.

Feedback and Knowledge Base